We are Dubbo Regional Council, a large regional Council servicing a growing community of over 50,000 people. With an operating expenditure budget of approximately $200 million, we have 600 team members working across a diverse range of areas including planning, infrastructure, community and cultural services, administration, economic development, corporate business and recreational services.About our region
The Dubbo Region outshines the big metropolitan cities in both affordability and liveability, with an impressive range of housing options, health and education services and little to no work commute – your quality of life is second to none. The real heart of New South Wales, our Region is a dynamic centre that offers the dual benefits of relaxation and space with the amenities of a major city. With a population of 51,429 and 4,500 registered businesses the Dubbo Region is consistently thriving. Key assets for the Region include a major hospital that services a broad catchment population of 120,000 people, as well as world class tourist attractions and impressive transport links including direct flights to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra and Newcastle.
Council is seeking an experienced Aborist who can assist the Liveability Open Space and Recreation team to provide strategic, beneficial and cost efficient Arboricultural/horticultural advice on future and current tree management principles and services in the Local Government area of Dubbo Regional Council. The role will also be interface between Council and Developers in the assessment of street tree amenity valuations, new subdivision streetscapes and undertake the required compliance inspections to ensure Council’s Development Application Conditions are being met.
In this role, there will be an opportunity to:
- Provide arboriculture/horticultural advice and assistance ensuring all strategic and operational plans are technically and arboriculturally sound, up to date and cost effective,
- Respond to public enquiries complaints and requests with regards to matters relating to the responsibilities of this position,
- Coordinate and implement Community tree planting and maintenance programs,
- Provide written technical reports on development landscape plans, tree health, or where tree conflicts exist,
- Complete tree risk assessments, and
- Assist, as required, the Operations function in undertaking aboricultural duties.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Diploma in Horticulture/Arboriculture with a willingness to undertake further study in a related field.
- Level 5 Arborist Certification.
- Experience in undertaking hazard assessment of amenity trees.
- Demonstrated high level communication and inter-personal skills.
- Demonstrated competence in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Project.
- Ability to monitor and manage budgets for one off and recurring projects.
You will need to be a dedicated and professional Aborist who is physically fit, enjoy working outdoors with an eye for detail and qualifications and experience in Aboriculture. An ability to interpret landscape plans and make determinations and suitability of tree species for specific locations and tertiary qualifications, or significant experience, in landscape architecture will be considered favourably.
Please refer to the attached Position Description for the entire scope of essential and desirable criteria which all applicants must meet.
This position requires a pre employment health assessment. Please refer to the attached Job Demands document for the physical requirements of the position.
Salary: $68,453 - $79,554 per annum plus superannuation.
Closing Date: 9.00am on Monday 27 January 2020.
Enquiries: Manager Recreation and Open Spaces - 6801 4704
How to Apply:
1. Please fill out the questions in the application page below.
2. On the following page you will have the opportunity to attach your resume.
3. Please note that once you start to complete your application, you cannot save it and return to it later. We recommend that you create your answers in a separate document (e.g. word) then copy your answers into this page when you are ready.
4. All correspondence will be via the e-mail you have provided in your application. (Please ensure you check your "Junk Mail" folder.)