About Oberon and Oberon Council
Oberon Council LGA covers approximately 3,659 square kilometres. Oberon is not your average small rural country town. Oberon has grown to an estimated resident shire population of 5,301, of whom around 2,700 live in the town.
At 1,113 metres, Oberon is the highest town in the Blue Mountains enjoying four distinct seasons including perfect summers and intermittent snow falls in winter. We are a friendly, caring rural community with a thriving economy. Our main industries are timber, tourism and innovative farming providing a stable employment base for the town.
Oberon boasts a dedicated team of Councillors supported by cohesive staff, with a traditional structure of a General Manager and three Directors all committed to the interests of the Oberon Community and operating a functional Council delivering a high level of service to its residents.
Oberon's natural beauty, altitude and climate, as well as the proximity to the world heritage listed Jenolan Caves and greater Blue Mountains national parks system also contribute to the continuing growth of the area.
Oberon Council recognises the importance of supporting the community by facilitating the maintenance of this rate of growth wherever possible. Circle of Villages - There are a number of villages located in the Oberon area including Black Springs, O'Connell and Burraga.
Survey & Design Engineer - Role
Apply online and view full position description click here
SALARY: The salary on offer is in the range of $90,742 – $105,261 per annum (full time equivalent) plus superannuation of 9.5%, which is a Grade 18 in Council’s salary system.
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours per week, Monday - Friday 9 day fortnight; Working Hours are 8.15am – 4.33pm with a 30 minute unpaid meal break
This position will undertake investigations and design of civil infrastructure including the preparation of estimates and related design reports. To project manage external consultants, prepare detailed reports and specifications. To provide engineering advice and services to the various departments within Council.
This position works closely with Council’s Technical Services Manager in scheduling the timely delivery of both maintenance and capital works projects.
We are looking for someone who has;
- Experience in Civil Engineering Design and Construction techniques.
- Previous supervisory experience with proven ability to resolve interpersonal conflict.
- Experience in applying relevant legislative, statutory and industry standards in relation to civil engineering design.
- Experience in managing contracts and project management skills
- Demonstrated time management skills with the ability to manage projects and programs in a timely manner and to agreed outcomes.
- Ability to liaise and communicate with external clients.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills including the ability to deal tactfully with people at all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to present concise, accurate oral and written reports.
- A tertiary qualification in Civil Engineering or extensive experience in a related field
1. Carry out design investigation, prepare and manage design including quantity and preparation of design estimates for construction in the field.
2. Prepare individual job construction package with all information required by field staff.
3. Maintain Council’s electronic drafting system and update manual
4. Carry out surveys for new works and works in progress
5. Maintain Council’s surveying equipment and ensure it is fit for purpose.
6. Maintain Council’s Drawing Register and maintain drawing records. Ensure completion of W.A.E documents and aligned into Councils Asset Management system.
7. Provide expert advice internally & externally with members of the public, operations staff in relation to engineering matters ensuring, document control is maintained
8. Monitor the maintenance and operations of the local Council mines pit
9. Provide timely reports on asset maintenance and capital works.
10. Lead and promote a customer focus culture applied to all stakeholders and coordinate the delivery of council’s civil design program including, suppliers, statutory authorities, contractors and developers.
11. Provide relief for Overseer in supervising some construction work from time to time
12. Assist the construction teams with set-outs and undertake environmental assessments for design projects
Confidential enquiries can be made by contacting Council's Technical Services Director, Chris Schumacher on 02 6329 8127 Direct 0407 214 534 Mobile