Council has an exciting opportunity to join its Finance team as the Revenue Officer. This role will be responsible for the coordination of Council's rating activtiies.
This role is a full-time role based out of Council's Molong office.
Working for Cabonne Council provides a rewarding opportunity to work for and in a close knit community. The operation does not require shift work or rotational rostering, instead working Monday to Friday, providing flexibility for the perfect work/life balance. The position operates over a 35 hour week with a 9 day fortnight. The current position holder is retiring, but will stay on for an extended handover and training for the successful candidate.
An overview of the position's activities and responsibilities is provided below.
To coordinate all rating activities including issuing notices and statutory certificates, maintaining rating ledgers, supervising of the debt recovery process, submitting reports to the Department of Local Government, and attending to all rating enquiries in order to maintain a high level of rate collection and comply with legislative requirements.
To maintain accurate records of the Council’s Property and Valuation register for rating purposes in accordance with the Local Government Act 1993 and the Valuation of Land Act 1916
- Accurately raise the levy and issue annual rates notices and quarterly instalment notices on time.
- Accurately and raise charges and issue quarterly water/sewer notices on time.
- Accurately submit pension rebate subsidy to the Office of Local Government within the required timeframes.
- Actively supervise staff as required.
- Accurately maintain and balance of land values and maintain current land and ownership records in accordance with Council procedures and legislative requirements.
- Accurately reconcile rates subsidiary ledger to general ledger.
- Attend to counter and telephone enquiries from the general public providing accurate and timely information.
- Accurately set the rate in dollar for estimate purposes.
- Issue statutory certificates as required including 603 Certificates and Water Meter Reads in accordance with Council procedures and legislative requirements.
- Administer sale of land for overdue rates as required in accordance with Council procedures and legislative requirements.
- Actively supervise the debt recovery process.
- Authorise the transmission of payments for electronic transfer.
- Answer correspondence and report to Council as required in accordance with Council’s policy on Service.
- Proactively complete the end of year roll over process for rates, water/sewer in Council’s corporate software system.
- Ensure customer service requests are followed through and the actions and outcomes are adequately documented with electronic notes within Council’s records system.
- Willing to undertake training relevant to the position.
- Class C driver’s licence.
Skills & Experience
- Experience in a similar role desirable.
- Sound knowledge and experience in all areas of Local Government Rating, property database management and computerised rating systems.
- Sound knowledge and experience in the collection of monies and accounts receivable procedures.
- Sound understanding of the legislation and Acts relevant to Local Government Rating.
- High level knowledge of Microsoft excel, word and access.
- Ability to comply with statutory deadlines.
- Ability resolve conflict including handling difficult customers.
- Highly systematic and organised approach to work with the ability to manage own workload and the work load of subordinate staff.
- Demonstrated high level of communication skills with the ability to effectively liaise with customers and staff at all levels.
Other details relating to this position:
- This position is graded 7-8 ($1187.60 - $1404.80 gross per week).
- Access to salary packaging, fitness passport, Council's Employee Assistance Program.
- Employment is under the Local Government (State) Award 2020.
- You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
- Cabonne Council proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity.